Asking Those Bad Dreams Away... Positive thinking NLP Technique - NLP Article
Recently my 5-year-old daughter reported having had a few bad dreams. This further led to some less-than-desirable behavior around bedtime before she went to bed, and then, some resistance to drifting down into a comfortable sleep at a good time.
So I created a ritual and offered her some tricks to making sure most if not all of her dreams would be good ones. She jumped at the opportunity and wanted to know the tricks. So I told her, it was easy -- it was just a few questions that she could ask and not answer. I used a technique I learned from one of my own trainers, Rex Steven Sikes -- simply put -- just asking better questions.
Some of you may have learned about how we direct our attention with our questions from Tony Robbins, but this article takes it further with "complex syntax". Combine 'asking better questions' with 'complex syntax,' (designed to confuse the conscious mind and engage the UNconscious mind) and we get great results.
So now my daughter & I have a ritual every evening whereby I come in at bedtime and we ask some good questions.
Of course, the deal requires her to "practice keeping her eyes closed for as long as she can" while we run through some questions. I say the questions and she repeats them out loud, though softly. And then between some of the questions I recommend she take a long... slow... deep breaths... (which, increasingly, lead to yawns!)
Here are a few of the questions I use, with lots of variation:
- I wonder how easily I'm going to fall asleep tonight?
- Will I have several amazing dreams, or only 3-4 good dreams?
- I'm not sure just how wonderful my dreams are going to be tonight, but won't it be fun to discover comfort inside of sleep?
- How much will my body grow and heal naturally while I rest tonight?
- Where in my body do I feel the most relaxed?
- How much will I enjoy my deep and comfortable sleep?
- Will it take me 4 minutes to drift into dreamland, or 6 or 7?
After we run through a few of these, if I pause for a minute or two and just recommend she keep breathing deeply, she's usually asleep without further questioning.
We've been doing this for a couple of weeks now. I recently asked her if she was still getting bad dreams, and she answered, "no, I get only good dreams now. So we have to keep doing the good questions!"
I must say, I haven't yet solved EVERY challenge I face as a parent, but with NLP I certainly feel more empowered than I would have been 10 years ago to handle what comes up, evaluate situations as impartially as possible, and, design creative solutions for them.
NLP gifts sent by mail:
CD & Sensory-Rich Word-List
- Watch NLP Co-Founder Richard Bandler use NLP to eliminate Michael Strahan's phobic response to snakes -- in minutes (with Kelly Ripa bringing over a BIG snake at the end to test Michael's response). Spoiler alert: It worked ridiculously well.
- Trial by Fire? No need. There are more pleasant ways to get great at Public Speaking (& other skills) (November 20, 2015)No matter what skill you want to learn, no matter what fears or concerns or hesitation you may have, there are and will always be a wide range of approaches, to learning that skill. It's important to keep that in mind when making learning choices.
- Did Ericksonian Hypnosis and/or NLP make these famous people into Wizards? (or help them become famous?) (September 12, 2015)Many more famous people have been trained in Ericksonian (indirect) Hypnosis and NLP than you might guess. There are certainly far more who have strong interests here than have publically admitted so.
- On January 1, 2015, Jonathan Altfeld and 20 other co-authors released a digital book entitled "Creating Business Growth."
- After six and a half great years based in central Pennsylvania, and running many courses in Washingt
- What are the Four Stages of Learning?
- In today's post, I share how and why an NLP Modeling project could be set up to fail, and what to do instead!
- In today's post, I share a sales-closing I think you'll love, and follow that with NLP skills applied to selling, including: Sensory Acuity, Sensory Awareness, Calibration, Using Suggestions to 'plant' thoughts ethically, and other NLP language patterns!
- How Well do NLP Techniques and Skills apply to selling, sales, wealth-building, closing deals, and making money? (August 18, 2014)Sales is one of the absolute best applications of NLP. Yet many salespeople well-trained in traditional models haven't taken advantage of this, usually because they're skeptical of whether or not NLP would get in the way of what they're alr
- Do your emotions drive you? Or do you drive your emotions?
- Willie Harris, Jr., Owner, Importer/Exporter, Seven Continents Trader,Bought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible VoiceI started using your Irresistible Voice CD when I started my import/export company. I was getting nowhere. I had just lost the main customer of my...Willie Harris, Jr.Owner, Importer/Exporter, Seven Continents Trader,Bought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible Voice
I started using your Irresistible Voice CD when I started my import/export company. I was getting nowhere. I had just lost the main customer of my business... my rent bills were coming due... my credit card bills were screaming at the top of their lungs... my world was about to end... Then... Something told me to listen to the CD... take your time and place your headphones on and listen to the damn CD's! I did. I then went to my next meeting waiting to test this stuff out. I walked into his office... sat down... I was told it was only going to be for ten minutes... 'we are VERY BUSY and we only have ten minutes...' And I looked at him... this guy with piles of paper on his desk... and said 'I have always wondered what it's like to work in a place such as this... Just between you and me... how do you do it?' (I lowered my voice as on the CD) And I spent the next two hours talking! And... ...closed a $13,000 account! Jonathan... do me a favor... be careful who you sell this to... take this off the market... or at least raise the price to around $1000!!!!2003
- Brian Mertins,Bought Audio : Metaphor Machine CDsMetaphor was one of the skills that originally attracted me to NLP, but after reading books and attending seminars I still didn't understand how...Brian MertinsBought Audio : Metaphor Machine CDs
Metaphor was one of the skills that originally attracted me to NLP, but after reading books and attending seminars I still didn't understand how to generate it. The best thing about the Metaphor Machine is that it lays the process out in clear and easy to understand steps so that you can truly understand how to generate effective metaphorical contexts. I found the second part of actually utilizing the metaphorical context to generate the desired effect to be less concrete, but Jonathan gives numerous examples and then a really wild demonstration that shows where you might take it as you practice... Great Product.2009
- Elaine Christakos, Financial Coach, Kelowna, BCAttended Course : Linguistic WizardryJonathan is a superb trainer and communicator. I am thrilled to have participated in his recent Seattle Linguistic Wizardry workshop. Jonathan has...Elaine ChristakosFinancial Coach, Kelowna, BCAttended Course : Linguistic Wizardry
Jonathan is a superb trainer and communicator. I am thrilled to have participated in his recent Seattle Linguistic Wizardry workshop. Jonathan has a way of transferring knowledge with such ease as to include everyone - regardless of prior training or NLP experience. I was in awe watching how Jonathan managed to reach everyone in a different way - while constantly keeping the entire group engaged. I've now got a renewed excitement for practicing my NLP skills, and am more eager than ever to keep it working for me. Although I thought my coaching calls were great prior to attending LW, soon after my training - I found my calls to be more fluid and effective. The words seemed to flow much easier and my use of embedded commands are more natural and useful. I also am better able to focus my attention on understanding the style of my clients patterns - without losing focus on the content of what I'm teaching. It has all been such a natural process that I'm eager to see where it will be most effective next.2007
- Andrew Joy, Principal French Horn, Cologne Radio Orchestra, Cologne, GermanyBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible VoiceYour CDs arrived safe and sound. I've listened to the first two and worked on the exercises. I'm a 55 year young, professional principal...Andrew JoyPrincipal French Horn, Cologne Radio Orchestra, Cologne, GermanyBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible Voice
Your CDs arrived safe and sound. I've listened to the first two and worked on the exercises. I'm a 55 year young, professional principal french horn player and have been working in a top German symphony orchestra for the past 30 years. I listened to the bonus telephone interview today. I am blown away. The results, applying your voice exercises to my playing (and to my students) are phenomenal. Resonance plays a huge role in performing on a brass instrument and very few poeple understand much about it. I've picked up useful and practical information, from singers and voice coaches, that I've been able to adapt to brass playing. Explaining resonance is now easy using your nose, mouth, throat etc, approach. The killer though, is using double resonance. I have free at present and don't have to perform in the orchestra (and the hall) until the beginning of Febuary. However, I am itching to hear how my changed sound is in our hall. It has to be amazing. Your material has added wonderfully valuable understandings to my comprehension of what constitutes excellent quality brass player and has beautifully simplified my means of effectively communicating it to my students. There has been a lot of belly laughter, stunned ears and broad smiles in my teaching studio this week. I'm teaching a course to amateur wind and brass players next year and am looking forward to applying your teachings to this particular situation for the benefit of the people attending. Thanks a million. This is one of the few times in my life where I've been gladly reeling and with a huge smile on my face.http://www.andrewjoy.com2007
- Eric Johnson, Mortgage Broker and Financial Coach, Bradenton, FLBought Audio : Metaphor Machine CDsI've always known, as most all of you here have, that the most influential and powerful communicators relay messages on deep levels and that the...Eric JohnsonMortgage Broker and Financial Coach, Bradenton, FLBought Audio : Metaphor Machine CDs
I've always known, as most all of you here have, that the most influential and powerful communicators relay messages on deep levels and that the power of metaphor is of paramount importance. Jonathan's treatment of the subject on the Metaphor Machine CD-set is really quite impressive. The distinctions he makes between 'isomorphic' and 'homomorphic' metaphors is really critical to development of skills in this area. Of course the 'homomorphic' metaphor structure is the one for the serious student, and Jonathan does a tremendous job of 'unpacking,' as he likes to say, the structure of an effective metaphor and laying out the formula for easy re-creation. In sum, this set is one that provides extreme traction and momentum in developing this critical skill set.2008
- Jenny Waller, Life Coach, Coaching with Jen,Attended Course : Speaking Ingeniously"Jonathan Altfeld is a highly skilled communicator and trainer whom it is an absolute pleasure to watch at work. He cultivates a learning...Jenny WallerLife Coach, Coaching with Jen,Attended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
"Jonathan Altfeld is a highly skilled communicator and trainer whom it is an absolute pleasure to watch at work. He cultivates a learning environment which nurtures and develops the skills and abilities of everyone within the group, and created epic transformations."http://www.coachingwithjen.com/2006
- Donna McGeorge, Speaker, Facilitator, People with PEP,Attended Course : Speaking IngeniouslyI have just come off a 3 day training program with 13 people. I have to say I experienced amazing results and have integrated more HC than I thought...Donna McGeorgeSpeaker, Facilitator, People with PEP,Attended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
I have just come off a 3 day training program with 13 people. I have to say I experienced amazing results and have integrated more HC than I thought. During each of the breaks David [another Holographic Communication student] was coming to me and saying things like 'great amnesia patterns' and 'cool embedded commands' (or words to that effect). There were some that I was conscious of, and others that demonstrated unconscious skill. However, this course (Cert IV), through other public offerings, is often delivered in anything from 8 days to 6 months, and I had some (secret) concerns about pulling it off in 3 days... [judicious pause]... and I did. I believe that using the HC techniques of headlines, universals/truisms, moving people through states and using embedded commands meant this program had real legs and the content was delivered in an extremely accelerated, yet satisfying, way. In any case, the proof was in the pudding. Participants, in their final presentations, demonstrated *all* of the techniques that I had taught them and performed beautifully and "passed". Thanks again for an amazing workshop and more amazing experience. I will be recommending this program to my colleagues, and look forward to an 'advanced HC' program when it eventuates.http://www.peoplewithpep.com.au/2005
- Richard Stokes, London, UKAttended Course : “Irresistible Voice”seminarI attended Jonathan Altfeld's Irresistible Voice workshop about a year ago. I was extremely impressed at the time, but didn't want to post a review...Richard StokesLondon, UKAttended Course : “Irresistible Voice”seminar
I attended Jonathan Altfeld's Irresistible Voice workshop about a year ago. I was extremely impressed at the time, but didn't want to post a review until I'd had a chance to experience the difference that it made in practice. [...] The starting point of the transformation was the use of various pieces of electronic amplification equipment. What this does is allow you to hear yourself as others hear you, in real time. ... Using the PA equipment is the first step to revealing our true voice. The result for me was a revelation - I have a good voice, but I'd just never heard it before. The workshop was interspersed with the opportunity to try out specific drills, a bit like circuit training, in groups of 2 or 3 people. Speaking to a rhythmic click track, speaking lying on the floor with books balanced on the belly, and a laptop with a speech analyser. All ways of generating feedback based on external indications, which we could then experiment with. For me, this was the magic of the workshop, the bringing to the surface of what was previously been hidden, where it could be experimented with. Another great feature of the workshop was the regular coaching by Jonathan, in front of the group. I wanted to be able to project my voice without shouting, so as to reach someone sitting 20 rows back. Jonathan made small adjustments to the way I held my head, a tilt of maybe half an inch or so, and the effect was noticeable and immediate. All of Jonathan's coaching and interventions were directed to specific outcomes that each person wanted. Shortly afterwards, I joined a public speaking club in order to be able to put into practice what I'd learned, speaking to groups of 30-40 people. The feedback I got right from the start was consistently that I have a great speaking voice, and that it was clear that I was an experienced speaker. I'd highly recommend this course.2007
- Nick Fortune, IT Consultant, London, UKAttended Course : Knowledge Engineering"In three days time", he said, "you are all going to be better knowledge engineers than most of the people I've worked with....Nick FortuneIT Consultant, London, UKAttended Course : Knowledge Engineering
"In three days time", he said, "you are all going to be better knowledge engineers than most of the people I've worked with." I blinked. That sounded like quite a claim! Of course, we needn't have worried. Mr. Altfeld conducts his seminars like a Grandmaster laying a trap for a particularly wiley opponent. The opening moves seem so innocuous & then, it all comes together, & by the time you realise you've learned something, it's too late...to do anything except have fun using your new understanding, that is! The real topic of the seminar is modeling. Modeling is arguably the heart of NLP &, until now, a subject that has been pretty much opaque to me. No longer. Jonathan melds techniques from the world of computing with meta-modeling to produce a solid methodical approach to the subject, which is uniquely his own. What can I say? We had a lot of fun, we learned a lot, & most important, what we learned was useful & obvious in its application. If you get a chance to attend one of these events, do it!1998
- William Barron, Business Life Coach, Creating InSight, United KingdomAttended Course : Knowledge EngineeringI am using your K.E. all the time with my Business Development Coaching. The first time was over the telephone with a client. She was in London and...William BarronBusiness Life Coach, Creating InSight, United KingdomAttended Course : Knowledge Engineering
I am using your K.E. all the time with my Business Development Coaching. The first time was over the telephone with a client. She was in London and I was in Derby. She had a challenge with a customer and wanted a different way of handling him and a new project but was stuck. I explained the process started it off ... If Then Means ... faxed the start to her and then she picked up the process and by the end of the session we had worked it back and she had a better idea of what was involved and later that week emailed me with the news that she had sorted it all out. Another client was having trouble deciding on a similar situation but did not know why he was holding back on a new venture, especially as he had been made redundant and it uncovered huge amounts of stuff in his life that he hadn't told anybody before and now we are looking at that before he even considers the new business venture. Finally the last time was a client who wants to get out of a business investment, which then allowed us to take the result and work back with all the various scenarios on parallel Time Scales that showed what he needed to do, which he found extremely valuable. Along with Dilts' Logical Levels, visualization, Mind Mapping and EQ, K.E. has got to be one of the most useful things that I have learnt in the past four years. Many thanks.http://www.creatinginsight.co.uk2005