Structure of Humor, & Humorous 1-liner Jokes - NLP Article
Most jokes of the well-known "One-Liner" form come from taking a well-known, oft-heard cliche, and considering what ambiguities can be found within the sounds of the words, or what other meanings can be made from the words themselves.
And then once ambiguities are found, or other meanings are found, you then build up the joke around the punchline, in reverse, setting up the ambiguity. So I challenge you to do the same. It doesn't have to be "great," it only matters that you play with the exercise. Ambiguities breed mental flexibility and acuity, which helps in everything else we do.
For example, let's take:
"killing two birds with one stone"
"One stone" could also be heard as "one's tone."
And since I'm a bear for tonality... and irresistible voices... what if you make the ambiguity about bad tonality killing birds.
Maybe you caught another one in that last phrase, too... :)
OK, so let's see... if a guy with bad tonality speaks to birds in a pet shop and they die, that covers the "alternative" meaning of the phrase. How do I set it up so that the primary meaning is also covered?
(1st cut) How about:
A man whose voice annoyed all his friends was told to buy a pet bird that could imitate him, and give him some real-time vocal feedback. But he also was told that birds are sensitive to sound, so he went into a pet shop to find out if his voice could be improved by talking to birds, and to determine how sensitive birds might be to his grating voice. The pet store owner directed the man over to the bird cages, and upon listening to the man, two parrots went berserk, then promptly keeled over & died. "Wow," thought the owner... "that's really killing two birds with one's tone."
Now it's your turn. Come up with a better one for "killing two birds with one stone" (I'm sure they're out there)... or for another cliche!
Oh, also, watch out for those bad-tonality killing-birds.
In Roswell, GA, a few years back, I visited a pet store to pick up some dog food, for my neighbor. And there's a bird that they display in a cage outside this door of the store. It's parked when you enter, and it's trained to say "goodbye" and "come back soon" and "have a nice day" when you walk out this door. Makes for a great laugh. And it had pretty good tonality, too, for a bird.
NLP gifts sent by mail:
CD & Sensory-Rich Word-List
- Watch NLP Co-Founder Richard Bandler use NLP to eliminate Michael Strahan's phobic response to snakes -- in minutes (with Kelly Ripa bringing over a BIG snake at the end to test Michael's response). Spoiler alert: It worked ridiculously well.
- Trial by Fire? No need. There are more pleasant ways to get great at Public Speaking (& other skills) (November 20, 2015)No matter what skill you want to learn, no matter what fears or concerns or hesitation you may have, there are and will always be a wide range of approaches, to learning that skill. It's important to keep that in mind when making learning choices.
- Did Ericksonian Hypnosis and/or NLP make these famous people into Wizards? (or help them become famous?) (September 12, 2015)Many more famous people have been trained in Ericksonian (indirect) Hypnosis and NLP than you might guess. There are certainly far more who have strong interests here than have publically admitted so.
- On January 1, 2015, Jonathan Altfeld and 20 other co-authors released a digital book entitled "Creating Business Growth."
- After six and a half great years based in central Pennsylvania, and running many courses in Washingt
- What are the Four Stages of Learning?
- In today's post, I share how and why an NLP Modeling project could be set up to fail, and what to do instead!
- In today's post, I share a sales-closing I think you'll love, and follow that with NLP skills applied to selling, including: Sensory Acuity, Sensory Awareness, Calibration, Using Suggestions to 'plant' thoughts ethically, and other NLP language patterns!
- How Well do NLP Techniques and Skills apply to selling, sales, wealth-building, closing deals, and making money? (August 18, 2014)Sales is one of the absolute best applications of NLP. Yet many salespeople well-trained in traditional models haven't taken advantage of this, usually because they're skeptical of whether or not NLP would get in the way of what they're alr
- Do your emotions drive you? Or do you drive your emotions?
- Mark Henry, Certified Hypnotherapist, Baton Rouge, LABought Video : “Building Hypnotic Rapport”Jonathan's skill builders DVDs are incredible. Learn about building hypnotic rapport by pacing and leading others breathing patterns. I...Mark HenryCertified Hypnotherapist, Baton Rouge, LABought Video : “Building Hypnotic Rapport”
Jonathan's skill builders DVDs are incredible. Learn about building hypnotic rapport by pacing and leading others breathing patterns. I synchronized my breathing with several attractive women at coffee shops and malls in the last month. Each turned their bodies toward me while I sat across a room. They gazed at me for several seconds. I felt that I connected with them on an unconscious level. I later spoke with them and were amazed at their friendliness to a complete stranger.2005
- Andy Preston, Sales Trainer, Outstanding Results, Manchester & LondonAttended Course : Speaking IngeniouslyAs someone who already has public speaking and training experience, I had been looking for a course that would help me further develop my skills for...Andy PrestonSales Trainer, Outstanding Results, Manchester & LondonAttended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
As someone who already has public speaking and training experience, I had been looking for a course that would help me further develop my skills for a long time. Most courses either only cater for the absolute beginner, or focus on the less important aspects of speaking - where to hold your hands, how to use Powerpoint for example. Jonathan Altfeld's Speaking Ingeniously course however is different. Right from day 1, I realised I was in for something special. The massive growth both myself and other attendees experienced in our speaking skills would be hard to believe if we didn't have the DVD evidence! Jonathan's ability to train a mixed ability group is unrivaled, and on this course there were already-confident public speakers like myself, right down to people who had never spoken in public before, and even one who had a fear of public speaking! The way Jonathan trains means that everyone, regardless of their current skill level, gets massive benefits from his courses. He has mastered the hard-to-master art of training different skill levels at one time, without anyone feeling he's going too fast or too slow and it's the most effortless learning I've experienced (and among the most powerful). Who would I recommend this course to? Anyone that wants to improve their speaking skills - whether they want to speak in public or just improve their position at work (and believe me, you'll be able to negotiate more money after this course!). In my opinion, this is THE best course on speaking skills, and having researched lots of courses before I chose this one, I can guarantee you won't find the majority of this material (or have this sort of experience) anywhere else. If you want a 10 out of 10 experience, I wholeheartedly recommend Jonathan Altfeld and this course over any other.http://www.outstanding-results.co.uk/2006
- Claudio Sennhauser, Demo Coach and Author of "Giving Memorable Product Demos", ThailandBought Audio : Automatic Yes CD-setIn this program, Jonathan teaches how to elicit and influence emotional states in elegant and natural ways. Although the program focuses on one-on-...Claudio SennhauserDemo Coach and Author of "Giving Memorable Product Demos", ThailandBought Audio : Automatic Yes CD-set
In this program, Jonathan teaches how to elicit and influence emotional states in elegant and natural ways. Although the program focuses on one-on-one communication, all of the skills and knowledge taught can be applied to product demonstrations and group presentations as well. In the Sample Track from CD 1, Jonathan says: "Lead your audience to an Action State in a way that aligns with their values and beliefs." That sums up what you will get from the program: the ability to elicit and influence emotional states in your audience. You will learn how to lead someone from an Encounter State to an Action State through the chaining of smaller state changes in between. This is a skill that will set you apart from other presenters. Thinking about how your audience will feel will most certainly help you add great stories, and sequence them for maximum impact. For me, this program is a keeper! I recommend it to any product demonstrator as a secret weapon. Armed with it, you will be able to elicit and change the emotional states of your audience with elegance. I consider this the main ingredient that will lead to truly memorable demos.http://sennhauser.com/2009
- Marc Carlin, Hypnotist, The NYC Hypnotist, New York, NYAttended Course : NLP Sales WizardryI just finished up a seminar with Jonathan Altfeld on NLP and Sales. As always I had a great weekend and experiential learning experience. Jonathan...Marc CarlinHypnotist, The NYC Hypnotist, New York, NYAttended Course : NLP Sales Wizardry
I just finished up a seminar with Jonathan Altfeld on NLP and Sales. As always I had a great weekend and experiential learning experience. Jonathan is a master at connecting NLP with real world skills and I learned plenty! [...] If you have a chance to train with Jonathan I enthusiastically support his work.http://www.hypnoticstate.com2010
- Ted VanderNoot, Cognitrix, London, UKAttended Course : Belief Craft MP3 Set"Your presentation of AI & Knowledge Engineering & how computer software systems can learn & decide was quite interesting. But using...Ted VanderNootCognitrix, London, UKAttended Course : Belief Craft MP3 Set
"Your presentation of AI & Knowledge Engineering & how computer software systems can learn & decide was quite interesting. But using these models to then explore modelling in the NLP context was mind-blowing! It was really cool how well we were tracking beliefs by only the second day. [...] Not only could we track beliefs & language patterns "on the fly" but we could unravel their interconnections & their interactions conversationally. I thoroughly recommend your course to anyone who wants to improve their skills at tracking language patterns & modelling."http://www.cognitrix.com/2005
- Jason Knierum, Entrepreneur, Sydney, AustraliaAttended Course : Speaking Ingeniously"I very much enjoyed your seminar. Having more comfort when I talk with people makes the rapport deeper. Even though my demo is only 90 seconds...Jason KnierumEntrepreneur, Sydney, AustraliaAttended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
"I very much enjoyed your seminar. Having more comfort when I talk with people makes the rapport deeper. Even though my demo is only 90 seconds, I hold longer eye contact with more potential customers, building a sense of connection. Result? Sales of my juicer product increased 30%." -
- Alex Kravchenko, IT Consultant, New York, NYAttended Course : Speaking IngeniouslyConsider taking Jonathan Altfeld’s "Speaking Ingeniously" course. To start with, Jonathan is a very powerful public speaker himself, so...Alex KravchenkoIT Consultant, New York, NYAttended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
Consider taking Jonathan Altfeld’s "Speaking Ingeniously" course. To start with, Jonathan is a very powerful public speaker himself, so even if there was nothing else to recommend about this course, just the ability to model someone who’s able to deliver an amazing impromptu presentation on just about any topic I can think of is well worth the price of the workshop. What’s even better, Jonathan, in addition to being a great communicator, is also a very skillful and dedicated teacher who’s quite able and willing to deploy his considerable NLP skills to make his students better public speakers. Add to this a powerful "Speaking Ingeniously" model of delivering both prepared and off-the-cuff presentations and you get a hell of a training! Before the course I had some idea about spatial and tonal anchoring, as well as state-chaining in the context of public speaking. After the course, I have experience of moving people through various states while creating anchors. I also became much better at generating attention grabbing headlines. Bottom line – Jonathan delivers what he advertises and then some! I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to improve their public speaking skills.2007
- Tom Minter, Entrepreneur, London, UKAttended Course : Speaking IngeniouslyWhether you are looking to improve your speaking or to gain more of a mastery over yourself, Speaking Ingeniously is a course that will grow and...Tom MinterEntrepreneur, London, UKAttended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
Whether you are looking to improve your speaking or to gain more of a mastery over yourself, Speaking Ingeniously is a course that will grow and stretch you beyond what you previously thought possible. With each passing day you will be amazed and inspired as you feel your skill and confidence being educed from within. In my experience Jonathan's skills as an NLP trainer are second to none, and through his masterful and outstanding techniques you will be blown away with - and left open-mouthed - at your own potential. Thank you for the great five days, I really appreciate your time and commitment to us. It was also enjoyable and memorable to spend some great time on a personal level. No doubt we will have more chances again in the future...2006
- Kay Pentacost, Database Solutions Developer,Attended Course : NLP Practitioner TrainingFor twelve amazing days in April and May the group of us learned about NLP through explanation, exercises, and trance (my favorite part). It's...Kay PentacostDatabase Solutions Developer,Attended Course : NLP Practitioner Training
For twelve amazing days in April and May the group of us learned about NLP through explanation, exercises, and trance (my favorite part). It's been 5 months since I started the NLP Practioner Training. The first effects I noticed after the training was how much easier it was to read my NLP books. The second effect was an ability to easily control my states, most of the time, and the knowledge that I could anytime I wanted to. The most frequent comment I got from others was something like... "you seem different... I don't know, lighter somehow." I take it as a compliment! My life has changed a lot. Some of the ways are very subtle: a sense of comfort, a feeling of attractiveness, more positive responses from other people. I get more done at work because my focus is better; when I'm not focusing, I use NLP to start and increase my focus. I have more fun when I'm not working (and really, more fun working). And in some ways things seem completely different. I can't explain exactly how, but the world is brighter and sparkly. You'll know what I mean, I think, if you've had a practitioner course; you'll find out when you take one, if you haven't yet. I think it's the best thing I ever did for myself... so far.1998
- William Barron, Business Life Coach, Creating InSight, United KingdomAttended Course : Knowledge EngineeringI am using your K.E. all the time with my Business Development Coaching. The first time was over the telephone with a client. She was in London and...William BarronBusiness Life Coach, Creating InSight, United KingdomAttended Course : Knowledge Engineering
I am using your K.E. all the time with my Business Development Coaching. The first time was over the telephone with a client. She was in London and I was in Derby. She had a challenge with a customer and wanted a different way of handling him and a new project but was stuck. I explained the process started it off ... If Then Means ... faxed the start to her and then she picked up the process and by the end of the session we had worked it back and she had a better idea of what was involved and later that week emailed me with the news that she had sorted it all out. Another client was having trouble deciding on a similar situation but did not know why he was holding back on a new venture, especially as he had been made redundant and it uncovered huge amounts of stuff in his life that he hadn't told anybody before and now we are looking at that before he even considers the new business venture. Finally the last time was a client who wants to get out of a business investment, which then allowed us to take the result and work back with all the various scenarios on parallel Time Scales that showed what he needed to do, which he found extremely valuable. Along with Dilts' Logical Levels, visualization, Mind Mapping and EQ, K.E. has got to be one of the most useful things that I have learnt in the past four years. Many thanks.http://www.creatinginsight.co.uk2005