Accepting Feedback From Others Gracefully - NLP Article
This email was in response to someone who was describing their having had a negative emotional reaction to receiving some criticism.
All information like this is feedback! We can learn from all feedback, "good" or "bad," so from the perspective of learning useful information, there is NO good or bad criticism, just, certain quantities of varying feedback. Which is all good!
So when we hear things like the above, the first response could be, "Yeaaaaahhhh, Feeeeedbaaaack!" and get hungry for it! Listen with intent! Step outside yourself while you're hearing it and be the observer. Be detached but involved! Leave the emotions out and be genuinely interested as a student-of-life...
Now, if you only hear a certain piece of criticism once from someone, and no one else seems to agree (don't go asking everyone, just pay attention to the responses other people offer consciously and unconsciously), ignore them! Yet, if its a pattern, then it becomes something you can take advantage of, and decide if your behavior could use a few adjustments.
You already know you can make that happen, don't you? :)
NLP gifts sent by mail:
CD & Sensory-Rich Word-List
- After six and a half great years based in central Pennsylvania, and running many courses in Washingt
- What are the Four Stages of Learning?
- In today's post, I share how and why an NLP Modeling project could be set up to fail, and what to do instead!
- In today's post, I share a sales-closing I think you'll love, and follow that with NLP skills applied to selling, including: Sensory Acuity, Sensory Awareness, Calibration, Using Suggestions to 'plant' thoughts ethically, and other NLP language patterns!
- How Well do NLP Techniques and Skills apply to selling, sales, wealth-building, closing deals, and making money? (August 18, 2014)Sales is one of the absolute best applications of NLP. Yet many salespeople well-trained in traditional models haven't taken advantage of this, usually because they're skeptical of whether or not NLP would get in the way of what they're alr
- Do your emotions drive you? Or do you drive your emotions?
- NLP has enabled people just like you to discover that actively building, deepening, and maintaining Rapport creates stronger and more desirable results in communication settings of any kind.
- NLP Insights from Animal-Training helps you learn and teach more effectively!
- The A.I. Advantage: How and Why A.I. helps you with Decisions, Learning, Communication, and Success. (May 07, 2014)Relax; we're not talking about getting brain implants or strapping you into a big computer.
- All of us have, at one time or another, attempted to influence another person, to no avail. It's a universal experience to walk head-first into unresponsive stubbornness.
- Rosie O'Hara, NLP Trainer, NLP Highland, Edinburgh, ScotlanAttended Course : Linguistic WizardryI thoroughly enjoyed Jonathan's Linguistic Wizardry in November 2006 in Glasgow, Jonathan's humour and at times subtle directness is...Rosie O'HaraNLP Trainer, NLP Highland, Edinburgh, ScotlanAttended Course : Linguistic Wizardry
I thoroughly enjoyed Jonathan's Linguistic Wizardry in November 2006 in Glasgow, Jonathan's humour and at times subtle directness is charming and enables great learning. I experienced these 3 days and his evening sessions both as a participant and sometimes from a trainer's perspective. The courses gave me more insight into myself (which NLP always does!), as well as more info, and exciting and useful NLP to bring to my own trainees, trainers and clients, as well as my own life. Jonathan's voice and careful testing of the waters in respect of humour are also delightful. And I met some great people. He's really worth the money, go for it, enjoy it and learn.http://www.nlphighland.co.uk2006
- Andrew Joy, Principal French Horn, Cologne Radio Orchestra, Cologne, GermanyBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible VoiceYour CDs arrived safe and sound. I've listened to the first two and worked on the exercises. I'm a 55 year young, professional principal...Andrew JoyPrincipal French Horn, Cologne Radio Orchestra, Cologne, GermanyBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible Voice
Your CDs arrived safe and sound. I've listened to the first two and worked on the exercises. I'm a 55 year young, professional principal french horn player and have been working in a top German symphony orchestra for the past 30 years. I listened to the bonus telephone interview today. I am blown away. The results, applying your voice exercises to my playing (and to my students) are phenomenal. Resonance plays a huge role in performing on a brass instrument and very few poeple understand much about it. I've picked up useful and practical information, from singers and voice coaches, that I've been able to adapt to brass playing. Explaining resonance is now easy using your nose, mouth, throat etc, approach. The killer though, is using double resonance. I have free at present and don't have to perform in the orchestra (and the hall) until the beginning of Febuary. However, I am itching to hear how my changed sound is in our hall. It has to be amazing. Your material has added wonderfully valuable understandings to my comprehension of what constitutes excellent quality brass player and has beautifully simplified my means of effectively communicating it to my students. There has been a lot of belly laughter, stunned ears and broad smiles in my teaching studio this week. I'm teaching a course to amateur wind and brass players next year and am looking forward to applying your teachings to this particular situation for the benefit of the people attending. Thanks a million. This is one of the few times in my life where I've been gladly reeling and with a huge smile on my face.http://www.andrewjoy.com2007
- Tom Olson, MarylandAttended Course : NLP Skills-Builders (course)Thank you for such a wonderful and powerful introduction to NLP. I must admit that Friday night, I was feeling a mix of excitement and skepticism....Tom OlsonMarylandAttended Course : NLP Skills-Builders (course)
Thank you for such a wonderful and powerful introduction to NLP. I must admit that Friday night, I was feeling a mix of excitement and skepticism. Although I had already read three books on NLP, I still needed proof. I needed someone to show me that NLP was for real, and show me, you did. The skeptical voice in the back of my head was quickly quelled. I appreciate the openness and respect you exhibited to the attendees through out the entire three days. But most of all it was fun, and for me, an adventure. I do plan to continue this adventure with additional training. Thanks again for pointing out the possibilities. You are a great trainer and I look forward to training with you in the future.1998
- Michael Beale, NLP Trainer, PPI, Milton Keynes, UKAttended Course : Knowledge EngineeringI can throroughly recommend this course for anyone who is interested in developing their skills in modelling excellent performance, developing...Michael BealeNLP Trainer, PPI, Milton Keynes, UKAttended Course : Knowledge Engineering
I can throroughly recommend this course for anyone who is interested in developing their skills in modelling excellent performance, developing opportunities or solving problems. The skills apply equally well to concepts at work as well as to personal issues. In addition the relatively small numbers helped create an exceptionally positive atmosphere and enabled excellent individual feedback.http://www.ppimk.com2000
- Brian Mertins,Bought Audio : Metaphor Machine CDsMetaphor was one of the skills that originally attracted me to NLP, but after reading books and attending seminars I still didn't understand how...Brian MertinsBought Audio : Metaphor Machine CDs
Metaphor was one of the skills that originally attracted me to NLP, but after reading books and attending seminars I still didn't understand how to generate it. The best thing about the Metaphor Machine is that it lays the process out in clear and easy to understand steps so that you can truly understand how to generate effective metaphorical contexts. I found the second part of actually utilizing the metaphorical context to generate the desired effect to be less concrete, but Jonathan gives numerous examples and then a really wild demonstration that shows where you might take it as you practice... Great Product.2009
- Quinton Zondervan, CEO, Excelimmune, Inc., Woburn, MAHired Coaching :I hired Jonathan for weekly 1-on-1 executive coaching, as well as invited him to spend two days with my team of scientists and managers, for a...Quinton ZondervanCEO, Excelimmune, Inc., Woburn, MAHired Coaching :
I hired Jonathan for weekly 1-on-1 executive coaching, as well as invited him to spend two days with my team of scientists and managers, for a customized presentation followed up with individual employee coaching sessions.
Jonathan was tremendously helpful in coaching me through some very difficult situations. We focussed primarily on "emotional state management" which he quickly diagnosed was where I needed the most help. Maintaining the proper emotional equilibrium while going through stressful situations to a large extend comes natural to me. Nonetheless, there was a lot of room for improvement, and Jonathan definitely helped me reach a higher level of performance. Working with Jonathan was an absolute delight because he would quickly assess the situation I would describe to him and give me clear, specific pointers on how to adjust my perceptions and options to create a more positive emotional state regarding the situation. From there we would seamlessly transition to specific training exercises to prepare for future situations. I use many of these techniques now without thinking about them; they've become part of my repertoire and toolset.
Not only was Jonathan able to help me improve my performance, he worked with my entire team to help them improve their internal communication. By appropriately confronting them with the need to take responsibility for the outcome of their individual attempts at communication, he was able to help many of them move towards a greater awareness of their own specific communication needs and approaches and to make adjustments to improve the outcome. One team member told me what an amazing resource he was. I was very pleased with the changes in the team's approach to communicating with each other. While communication is still of course not yet perfect among them, it has improved considerably, and this allowed the team to achieve an amazing result. We set goals for the end of the year that we thought were aggressive. In fact we ended up beating the date by 2 months. No doubt we got lucky of course in terms of not encountering major technical obstacles we could not easily overcome. Nonetheless I credit a significant part of our success to Jonathan's work in enabling better team communication. Just the knowledge that in fact there were specific, attainable ways to make communication better encouraged the team and gave them the confidence to work through tense or difficult situations more smoothly than before.
Jonathan is indeed a tremendous resource for those who want to improve their communications (in the broadest sense of that word). Ultimately all human achievement is based on our proficiency to interact with others in a way that makes it more likely we will achieve a mutually beneficial, mutually desired outcome. Jonathan is able to work with any team or individual motivated enough to seek help in doing better, and helping them improve. What I appreciate the most about Jonathan is that he does not try to create an unnatural dependence. On the contrary, he happily shares his techniques and uses exercises and training to help you internalize them. Like any good coach, he helps you get better and acquire new skills that you can use on your own to achieve amazing results.http://www.excelimmune.com/2011
- Jay Cataldo,Bought Video : Persuasion SummitI have a heavy background in NLP and sales persuasion and I haven't seen Chris' material anywhere else. I think that the people who already...Jay CataldoBought Video : Persuasion Summit
I have a heavy background in NLP and sales persuasion and I haven't seen Chris' material anywhere else. I think that the people who already have an NLP background will benefit the most from his tapes; because you can use everything you already know and combine it with his [higher-level] strategies. Chris's teaching style reminds me of Richard Bandler's in the way that he uses countless stories to make points and get you to think outside the box. I think his entire plan was just to get you to shift your awareness and start thinking differently. My biggest epiphany came when Chris went into tremendous detail about perceptual characters and how to install custom criteria. After watching the videos, it finally clicked in my head and I truly feel it is one of the most useful principles I have ever learned. ESPECIALLY in the area of personal relationships. Light bulbs have been going off in my head for the last couple days now over this stuff. The Persuasion summit videos are about installing a framework so you can generate your own techniques in whatever context you need to. If you're willing to invest some time, this can easily be one of the best investments you will ever make. You can use his system in conjunction with any `techniques" you are using now. Like I said before, I think people with a strong NLP background will benefit the most from these tapes, because they are already used to installing new tools in their subconscious to obtain unconscious competency, among other reasons.2003
- Alex Akselrod,Bought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible VoiceAs a certified hypnotherapist, I can tell you that I will use these techniques in all of my future hypnosis work, both with clients & on tape, as...Alex AkselrodBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible Voice
As a certified hypnotherapist, I can tell you that I will use these techniques in all of my future hypnosis work, both with clients & on tape, as well as any inductions I record for free distribution. Jonathan demonstrated these techniques as he taught them, & each time, I had a high level of response to them. He is a very dynamic speaker, & forced me to really pay attention & understand the communication at all levels.2001
- Claudio Sennhauser, Demo Coach and Author of "Giving Memorable Product Demos", ThailandBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible VoiceYour 'Finding Your Irresistible Voice' 2-CD set [...] really gives me the tools & knowledge to IMPROVE my voice... no matter what level...Claudio SennhauserDemo Coach and Author of "Giving Memorable Product Demos", ThailandBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible Voice
Your 'Finding Your Irresistible Voice' 2-CD set [...] really gives me the tools & knowledge to IMPROVE my voice... no matter what level. Just learning about how to develop a dual-tone voice is worth the money for the whole set! I especially like your dynamic presentation of the material - your good mood really comes through.... A definite must in the library of any NLP student!http://sennhauser.com/2002
- James Tsakalos, NLP Trainer, Developing Magic, Melbourne, AustraliaPersonal :Jonathan? He's very good. It's as simple as that. I would be willing to leave my students in his hands, and that puts him in the company...James TsakalosNLP Trainer, Developing Magic, Melbourne, AustraliaPersonal :
Jonathan? He's very good. It's as simple as that. I would be willing to leave my students in his hands, and that puts him in the company of maybe two or three other trainers who share that much of my respect. This is a guy who looks after every one of his students, works hard, has plenty of fun along the way and makes sure that everybody else does too. And he knows his stuff. From a student's point of view, this means that you're getting someone with top-notch skills and expertise. And from another NLP trainer's point of view - oooh baby! See, everyone knows that expertise in the nuts and bolts of NLP training will get you good results, and many trainers just stop there. But some of us aren't satisfied with nuts and bolts. Some of us want more. Because deep down, we know that there's technical skill, and then there's artistry! And this guy is an artist. As another trainer, it's an absolute joy to watch Jonathan weaving his magic. It's very easy to see that he loves what he does, and he loves doing it well. The number of NLP trainers that I endorse without reservation can be counted on the fingers of one hand (in fact, I could count them and still have room to spare for a couple of finger puppets). Jonathan is one of those trainers. If you have a chance to enroll in one of his seminars then you have a fantastic opportunity to experience quality NLP training with one of the best and most accessible trainers you're likely to find. My advice? Make the most of the opportunity - you'll have a great time, you'll learn a lot more than you think, and you'll develop some fantastic skills without even realising it until you notice yourself using them to great effect long after the course is over.http://nlpmelbourne.com.au/2011