Accepting Feedback From Others Gracefully - NLP Article
This email was in response to someone who was describing their having had a negative emotional reaction to receiving some criticism.
All information like this is feedback! We can learn from all feedback, "good" or "bad," so from the perspective of learning useful information, there is NO good or bad criticism, just, certain quantities of varying feedback. Which is all good!
So when we hear things like the above, the first response could be, "Yeaaaaahhhh, Feeeeedbaaaack!" and get hungry for it! Listen with intent! Step outside yourself while you're hearing it and be the observer. Be detached but involved! Leave the emotions out and be genuinely interested as a student-of-life...
Now, if you only hear a certain piece of criticism once from someone, and no one else seems to agree (don't go asking everyone, just pay attention to the responses other people offer consciously and unconsciously), ignore them! Yet, if its a pattern, then it becomes something you can take advantage of, and decide if your behavior could use a few adjustments.
You already know you can make that happen, don't you? :)
NLP gifts sent by mail:
CD & Sensory-Rich Word-List
- Watch NLP Co-Founder Richard Bandler use NLP to eliminate Michael Strahan's phobic response to snakes -- in minutes (with Kelly Ripa bringing over a BIG snake at the end to test Michael's response). Spoiler alert: It worked ridiculously well.
- Trial by Fire? No need. There are more pleasant ways to get great at Public Speaking (& other skills) (November 20, 2015)No matter what skill you want to learn, no matter what fears or concerns or hesitation you may have, there are and will always be a wide range of approaches, to learning that skill. It's important to keep that in mind when making learning choices.
- Did Ericksonian Hypnosis and/or NLP make these famous people into Wizards? (or help them become famous?) (September 12, 2015)Many more famous people have been trained in Ericksonian (indirect) Hypnosis and NLP than you might guess. There are certainly far more who have strong interests here than have publically admitted so.
- On January 1, 2015, Jonathan Altfeld and 20 other co-authors released a digital book entitled "Creating Business Growth."
- After six and a half great years based in central Pennsylvania, and running many courses in Washingt
- What are the Four Stages of Learning?
- In today's post, I share how and why an NLP Modeling project could be set up to fail, and what to do instead!
- In today's post, I share a sales-closing I think you'll love, and follow that with NLP skills applied to selling, including: Sensory Acuity, Sensory Awareness, Calibration, Using Suggestions to 'plant' thoughts ethically, and other NLP language patterns!
- How Well do NLP Techniques and Skills apply to selling, sales, wealth-building, closing deals, and making money? (August 18, 2014)Sales is one of the absolute best applications of NLP. Yet many salespeople well-trained in traditional models haven't taken advantage of this, usually because they're skeptical of whether or not NLP would get in the way of what they're alr
- Do your emotions drive you? Or do you drive your emotions?
- Paul Sims, Personal and Business Coach, Nottingham, UKBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible VoiceSo, an 'irresistible voice,' hey? Sounds good, and so will your voice, if you listen to, and more importantly, do the exercises on this...Paul SimsPersonal and Business Coach, Nottingham, UKBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible Voice
So, an 'irresistible voice,' hey? Sounds good, and so will your voice, if you listen to, and more importantly, do the exercises on this set. Over the course of the CD's Jonathan Altfeld takes the listener through a series of precise, progressive exercises, focusing on various aspects of the human voice from how to use your mouth, tone, rhythm, using tonality, and how to use breathing effectively when speaking. Simple exercises, powerful results. It's a great set, and I found that by using the CD's and practising with the exercises, I was able to generate a voice that not only sounded nice, it felt nice as well. Not only do I sound more melodious, more rhythmic, and that people seem to want to listen to me more, but I'm more aware of a different internal state. By focusing on developing my voice, I have become aware of a more persuasive state, where there's less mental chatter and more eloquent, persuasive verbal delivery. By concentrating on developing the physiology of an irresistible voice, you can also develop a state of powerful persuasion, which is a very big bonus!2003
- Jenny Waller, Life Coach, Coaching with Jen,Attended Course : Speaking Ingeniously"Jonathan Altfeld is a highly skilled communicator and trainer whom it is an absolute pleasure to watch at work. He cultivates a learning...Jenny WallerLife Coach, Coaching with Jen,Attended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
"Jonathan Altfeld is a highly skilled communicator and trainer whom it is an absolute pleasure to watch at work. He cultivates a learning environment which nurtures and develops the skills and abilities of everyone within the group, and created epic transformations."http://www.coachingwithjen.com/2006
- Michael VanderDonk, NLP Trainer & Business Consultant, TOACH, Sydney, AustraliaPersonal :Michael Vanderdonk here. I'm an NLP trainer licensed by NLPTRB in Australia, trained primarily by Chris & Jules Collingwood and John...Michael VanderDonkNLP Trainer & Business Consultant, TOACH, Sydney, AustraliaPersonal :
Michael Vanderdonk here. I'm an NLP trainer licensed by NLPTRB in Australia, trained primarily by Chris & Jules Collingwood and John Grinder, with a wide range of other trainer experiences as well. I also assist at Inspiritive's NLP trainings. Some years ago, I used to be a very highly paid IT consultant, and now I'm using and training NLP and hypnosis in corporate Australia. I've seen some of the best, I've seen incredibly poor training, and I've also seen a wide range in between. I'd like to take a moment and share with you why US-based NLP trainer Jonathan Altfeld is one of my favorite trainers by far, not to mention why he's highly regarded by some of the best and most experienced trainers around the globe. My interest in Jonathan's work after having attended most of his courses in Australia led me to travel all the way to the UK to attend one of his seminars in particular. Jonathan's trained primarily by Richard Bandler, through the Society of NLP. He started training in '97, has trained all over North America and regularly trains in the UK and Australia. Unlike some who've trained with Richard Bandler, Jonathan seems to be able to navagate his way between the different NLP "camps". Jonathan even sports a gracious review from Chris & Jules Collingwood (John Grinder's favorite trainers!), and James Tsakalos in Melbourne. These high quality reviews aren't any surprise to me. When I first met him, over 6 years ago now, was struck immediately with his effort and care that he gave to his students that was far beyond the call of duty. I was surprised he joined and and even encouraged his students to continue on after the seminar, taking the new skills learnt in the classroom and applying them out in the real world. Jonathan, socially, is amazingly memorable. I remember one evening dinner with a small group from the course, and after a small demonstration with our waitress, every other waitress and waiter, and even a chef, came to our table to find out what was happening. Then there was the time he had the bar staff in stitches of laughter, so captivated they ignored the other waiting patrons (which is usually when Jonathan says "go help your customers")! While he does use several tricks to get these results, he's happy to teach these -- and usually does. His ability to communicate powerfully at different levels at the same time is what guarantees his results. His personality is magnetic, and the way he teaches quickly and easily transfers the skills. There was this time in Melbourne where once again I join him for a drink after the event. He's not even been in the country 48 hours, and the barman yells "Jonathan!" as he enters. His communication is memorable, even to those people who only meet him for a few minutes. I immensely enjoy Jonathan's work - If I didn't I would not be writing this, and I would not have attended most of his events in Australia. Nor would I have traveled around the world in May 2004 to see him and a fabulous hypnosis trainer Doug O'Brien co-train together in London. I've attended his NLP Skills-Builders course (an intro course). I've attended his Linguistic Wizardry course twice (language patterns). I've attended Knowledge Engineering (modeling & belief systems). I've attended his Belief Craft course with Doug O'Brien (combining Modeling Belief Systems with Sleight-of-Mouth). He is an outstanding trainer, able to lead a room mixed with 'beginners' and seasoned NLP trainers to a common goal - His village council exercise in Linguistic Wizardry in particular is a great example of this. If you want to train with the absolute best, start interviewing lots of NLP Practitioners, Master Practitioners, and trainers -- and find out who they think continues to be worth training with. There aren't many, but they are out there. And Jonathan is one of those few!http://www.toach.net
- Alex Dee, Investor Relations Consultant, London, UKAttended Course : Belief Craft MP3 Set"Belief Craft opens your eyes to what you already know, but didn't know how you know, as well as teaching excellent skills/tools in...Alex DeeInvestor Relations Consultant, London, UKAttended Course : Belief Craft MP3 Set
"Belief Craft opens your eyes to what you already know, but didn't know how you know, as well as teaching excellent skills/tools in tracking beliefs and [SoM] persuasion techniques."2005
- Michael Beale, NLP Trainer, PPI, Milton Keynes, UKAttended Course : Knowledge EngineeringI can throroughly recommend this course for anyone who is interested in developing their skills in modelling excellent performance, developing...Michael BealeNLP Trainer, PPI, Milton Keynes, UKAttended Course : Knowledge Engineering
I can throroughly recommend this course for anyone who is interested in developing their skills in modelling excellent performance, developing opportunities or solving problems. The skills apply equally well to concepts at work as well as to personal issues. In addition the relatively small numbers helped create an exceptionally positive atmosphere and enabled excellent individual feedback.http://www.ppimk.com2000
- G.A., Sydney, AustraliaBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible VoiceAfter reviewing your CDs I started realising how applicable it was in creating a new improved voice range. I realised that with very little effort...G.A.Sydney, AustraliaBought Audio : Finding Your Irresistible Voice
After reviewing your CDs I started realising how applicable it was in creating a new improved voice range. I realised that with very little effort people were listening attentively to me, even in crowded places and in places where machinery is constantly running. My workmates noticed it too, dropping comments as to how 'agreeable' it was to listen to my opinions, and how much more rapport was noticeable! My new girlfriend also refers to my voice as to one of my good qualities, which -- in combination with my other NLP techniques -- makes for my voice a seductive weapon of choice. I am recommending it to my friends. Thanks!2004
- Anand Rao, London, UKAttended Course : Belief Craft Seminar"I thoroughly enjoyed the training which has helped me to fill in a tremendously powerful area of skill in NLP, that I had previously avoided by...Anand RaoLondon, UKAttended Course : Belief Craft Seminar
"I thoroughly enjoyed the training which has helped me to fill in a tremendously powerful area of skill in NLP, that I had previously avoided by thinking it was going to take too much effort to learn. Combining [SoM] with KE gives a context in which to precisely use language patterns."2005
- Andrew Hollo, Director, Workwell Consulting, Melbourne, AustraliaAttended Course : Speaking IngeniouslyI run training that involves doctors, medical practice managers and nurses - all in the same room. They have vastly different backgrounds, training...Andrew HolloDirector, Workwell Consulting, Melbourne, AustraliaAttended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
I run training that involves doctors, medical practice managers and nurses - all in the same room. They have vastly different backgrounds, training and models of the world. Getting them to work together - and understand each other - can be a challenge. In 2005 I did Jonathan's Speaking Ingeniously program with the expectation that my key messages would be more concise and, therefore, more easily integrated by participants in my courses. In the six months since Speaking Ingeniously, I've experimented with headlines and with spatial anchors specifically, noticing that it's now much easier to get everyone's attention in the first 5 minutes and, then, easily keep their attention throughout a lengthy training session. Since doing Speaking Ingeniously, I'm better at tracking shifts in participants and, therefore, responding fluidly as we go. I get great feedback from all the groups and I feel I expend less effort and energy. Even people who do my courses twice can't believe that they're experiencing the same material, as they get so involved each time, it's like new learning for them. Thanks Jonathan!http://www.workwell.com.au/2006
- Bob Dillon, Seminar Leader, VermontAttended Course : Speaking IngeniouslyNo matter where you perceive your skill level, there is always more. Jonathan not only cuts diamonds, he polishes them, and adds more facets."Bob DillonSeminar Leader, VermontAttended Course : Speaking Ingeniously
No matter where you perceive your skill level, there is always more. Jonathan not only cuts diamonds, he polishes them, and adds more facets."2002
- Drew Kennedy, Sales Professional, Entrepreneur, Dallas, TXAttended Course : NLP Sales WizardryHey, my name's Drew Kennedy, and I attended Jonathan Altfeld's NLP Sales Wizardry Program, NLP, and I didn't know what to expect. He...Drew KennedySales Professional, Entrepreneur, Dallas, TXAttended Course : NLP Sales Wizardry
Hey, my name's Drew Kennedy, and I attended Jonathan Altfeld's NLP Sales Wizardry Program, NLP, and I didn't know what to expect. He said he was going to show a bunch of information; I've seen some trainers around the world; Jonathan blew me away. I can't stress it enough; the man was amazing. Too much information, really. 18 hours of craziness, and all kinds of stuff, it was the most amazing seminar in sales I've ever participated in. My expectations, again, they were high, because I had a lot of expectations meeting Jonathan and knowing what he was capable of, but guess what: I knew that he was going to be the man – and he blew me away. He underpromised and then he overdelivered. What suggestion would I give to other salespeople: Let him come unpack the power, people, that's all I can say to you. Just let him unpack the power. He was phenomenal. Whatever it takes for you to get here, move Heaven and Earth, and come see Jonathan; He will change your world, and unpack your power!2011